Sunday, August 3, 2008

8/2/08 12:10PM London / 7:11 AM USA


I had NO time in Chicago to sit down and get my laptop out. I had a dicey moment because, even though my flight arrived early, we did not have a proper gate to arrive in, and so we sat on the tarmac thing until one became available. I then had to switch terminals by using a shuttle (good thing I had just done that on my way to Massachusetts so I wasn’t one bit frightened!) but the line for the shuttle was very long. Once I got on the shuttle I arrived at the biggest gate I’d ever seen. They had separate loading for primo class / first class / and (the not really aptly named) economy class. It was sort of like the Titanic. So I got to my gate, boarded the plane, accused someone of sitting in my seat (36A vs. 39A…must get possible dyslexia checked…) found the right seat and tried to settle in.

I had a very Nice and Quiet Asian Woman person sitting next to me. We were perfect seatmates (although for a long time I couldn’t decide whether or not to turn my light on or off) because neither one of us watched the in-flight movies. I had decided to use the restroom facilities as soon as the fasten seat-belt sign went off once we were in-flight. And that took forever. My NQAW was already asleep. I pulled a feat of impossible proportions when, right when the sign was off, I leaped over her, hustled down the aisle, and was the first person to occupy the loo (when in London…). In a most amazing coincidence, as soon as I sat the plane started rocking all over the place and the captain turned the sign back on. I was the ONLY person clever enough to accomplish the feat of visiting the loo during that particular window of opportunity.

Once arriving in London, I deplaned, got a good 200 yards away from the plane and realized that my cell phone (or mobile phone as they call it here) was not in my pocket. I then turned back around, walked all the way back to the plane where I was obviously stopped by a very kind British Bloke who let me go back and retrieve it. Amazing that I have it now. Good, dear, phone! I will try not to lose you again!

So, now I’m hanging out in Heathrow. The South African Airlines desk does not even open until 2:00 PM, so I can’t even check into my flight until then. I am absolutely surrounded by the wonders of London…there’s a Harrods store, lots of duty free shopping, great food…oh! This must be the best terminal in the world. So, I went ahead and got 25 British pounds to play with since I’ll be here until about 8:00, and boy was that retarded! It was really expensive and cost 61.00 US. But I’m determined to get my eyebrows waxed and that’s 18 £. (Just so you know, there is a very cute and hilarious young kid about 50 yards away from me just singing his lungs out. Woo hoo!) So, I’m off to the loo, then to the salon to get my eyebrows waxed! Yeah!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I once left my entire purse on a plane, accidentally, of course. Luckily I always keep our passports on my person, so Craig and I were able to enter into Germany even without the all important purse. A week later, on our way back to the US, I was able to pick my purse up (intact with everything inside) from an airline counter at the airport where we had to catch our connecting flight. Pretty amazing!

Cousin Doug said...

So, am I supposed to have the "this is how it could have happened" music from Clue running through my head during the airport scenes?